Dairy Cattle Welfare in Practice takes a very practical approach, first outlining what welfare is, using the Five Freedoms as a baseline before making the business case for good welfare. It demonstrates how poor welfare can lead to economic losses and using case studies to show how welfare improvements have led to increased productivity. Assessing animal welfare on the farm is also covered and practical strategies for improving welfare on the farm are provided.
- What is Animal Welfare?
- How can animal welfare be assessed
- Welfare related issues to feeding
- Welfare issues related to housing
- Welfare issues related to health
- Welfare issues related to behaviour
- Welfare at milking
- Welfare at drying-off and during the dry period
- Welfare during the peripartum period
- Welfare of calves until weaning